Monday, August 14, 2006

Cal Thomas writes

I sent Cal Thomas a link to this site and we exchanged several emails over the weekend. He mentioned several names I haven't heard in about 40 years -- staffers who served with us including Les Blatt who went on to be a network news producer and Paul Kerivan whose car Cal used to borrow for his monthly PX and commissary run . Also CG Wells who Cal says died some time ago. If I remember correctly, CG was the news director of the Armed Forces Press, Radio and TV Service in New York, and a real professional.

When I told Cal that I am currently hosting the local segments of "All Things Considered" on Tucson's NPR station, he suggested tongue-in-cheek that I have him on the show.

"We could choke the audience with nostalgia," he wrote.

4 comments:

Jim Brumm said...

I remember the name CG Wells, but can not put a face on it at this late date. He wasn't the news director, however. That position was held by Bill Murray.

Jim Brumm

Les Blatt said...

I remember C. G. He was the head of the production department. He was no youngster when we were there - he had to be in his fifties, as I remember him. He was tall (OK, to me EVERYONE was tall), slim, bald or balding, with a mustache, as I recall, and always a gentleman.

Les Blatt

R. BLAINE HOWE said...

I SPENT 2 TOURS OF DUTY AT AFNT-CCK IN CCKAB NEAR TAICHUNG, TAIWAN IN 4 YEARS (FEB'69 AND MAR'71). I WAS A STAFF ANNOUNCER THEN STATION MANAGER MY 2ND TOUR. YOU WERE THE OIC MY 1ST TOUR THEN OWEN RESWEBER WAS OIC DURING MY 2ND TOUR. MY WIFE OF 35 YEARS IS FROM PULI, TAIWAN.
...BLAINE HOWE (former US Air Force SSGT)

Dallen Cox said...

Today 3/26/2008 I discovered a picture on Ensign Schneider with actess Nancy Rennick. I worked with Schneider on the USS Princeton in the Public Informatin Office. I was involved with filming the segment of The Lieutenant. I had my picture taken with Gary Lockwood. I still have the picture. I would like to talk to Mr. Schnieder